Thursday, September 2, 2010

The Great Procrastinator

I have a friend who is afraid to finish her photo albums because she believes that if she finishes them she won't have anything else to do in the world and she'll die.

I spend most of my time getting my life in order.  Sorting.  And making lists and plans.  I'm such a control freak that I like to feel that everything is in order before I actually DO anything.  I'm sure everyone can see where this is going... Maybe instead of being super-organised like I've always thought of myself, I'm actually a Great Procrastinator?  Sometimes I worry that I never actually get anywhere, but I think the reality is that as quickly as I tick one task off my list, I add another item to the bottom of what seems to be a never-ending and quite overwhelming list of things to do and achieve.

I like the way this 12WBT program plays to my strengths - or are they weaknesses?  Whatever.  It plays into my obsessive task orientation, but to my own benefit.  Mish sets a task  - I do it. Tick. I record what I eat and how many calories I burn when I exercise. Tick.  Gee keeping track of your calories sure keeps you honest! I'm sticking to the calorie limit, protein loading (mostly due to my gluten and lactose intolerance) and guzzling my body weight in water and herbal tea daily, but two weeks back on the strict wagon and I'm still hungry almost all the time.

Thank the good Lord for Balsamic Glaze! Only 10 calories per dessertspoon and it sure gives steamed vegetables and salad and - well just about anything but cereal - a tasty zing!   See, at 45 years old, I've finally worked out if you follow the program you lose weight and if you don't - you don't lose weight.  It really is that simple. It comes down to a choice about how much you want it.  Do I want to lose weight, or do I want to keep putting that off for another day? With another cunningly crafted self-sabotaging excuse about why I can't start today, why I need to eat just enough to prevent any weight loss (I'm not silly enough to put weight on!) or why I can't possibly go to the gym again this month...  Might as well just keep going.  One step at a time.  I mean I'm already hungry and don't want to undo the good work I've done.  And soon I will reach my goal.

Pass the ginger and lemongrass tea please...

No comments:

Post a Comment