Saturday, August 28, 2010

Yummy Gluten and Dairy Free Lunch Option - (320cal per serve)

The big thing for me is being prepared.  I need to have my food cupboards and fridge properly stocked and a whole lot of yummy, healthy options for lunch and dinner ready to go, so that when I'm suddenly starving, I can easily make a good choice.

Did I mention I love to cook?  And I'm quite a good cook too.  Today I'm preparing a few things for the weeks ahead.  If you're not worried about the gluten and dairy, you can use cow's milk cheese in this too.

Here's a recipe for what I've made so far today.  It makes 12 serves and freezes well - which suits me fine as I can serve a whole family AND freeze individual portions for my lunch at work.  Enjoy!

Chicken and vegetable frittata
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 leek
1 packet (500g) frozen peas
I bunch asparagus
12 large eggs
400 g sheep's milk fetta or sheep's milk ricotta (or even Greek goat's milk yoghurt)
100g Manchego (hard sheep's milk cheese like parmesan)
1 cup fresh basil leaves
400g chicken (I use a whole roast chicken with the skin and bones removed)

Line large baking dish with baking paper.
heat oil in fry pan and cook chopped leek until soft.  Add the peas and chopped asparagus and cook for another few minutes.  Season as required.
Whisk eggs, add fetta (or ricotta, or yoghurt) and combine. 
Stir through basil, cooked vegetables and chopped chicken.
Pour into lined baking dish and grate the Manchego over the top.
Bake in medium oven for 30 mins or until cooked through.  It rises a bit and appears golden brown on the top when ready.

No comments:

Post a Comment